Sunday, August 21, 2011

Almost There

Obstructive sleep apneaImage via Wikipedia
It has been almost two months since I had a small health scare.  I was carrying two garbage bags out to the curb for trash pick up when mgr whole left side started tingling.  It shook me up enough that I ended up taking a sick day and went to the doctor.  Though I did sit in the car and contemplated going to work.

My first thought that day was that I might have been having or getting ready to have a stroke.  Since that day I have had a series of tests done.  My blood work up revealed that I had a Vitamin D deficiency.  I have had two sleep studies done that revealed that I am suffering from mild to moderate sleep apnea and will need to use a CPAP machine.  Both of those put me at risk for heart attack or stroke.

About two days before the incident, I was feeling rather poor and tired.  I decided that I needed to get serious about changing my diet, start eating right and lose some weight.  Earlier in the year, I had lost about 20 pounds, but fell back into my bad habits and quickly gained about 15 pounds back, making me like a lot of people who struggle with weight.

I am glad to say that I have been feeling a bit better these days.  I have not started the CPAP machine yet, but estimate that I will get the results from the most recent sleep study in a couple weeks.  At that time, I should be able to start that treatment making me feel even better.

These days, my diet consists of a lot more fruit, a lot of salad, and I usually only consume meat with my evening meal.  Occasionally, I will add a protein or nutrition bar, and some nuts.  I have more or less cut out all junk food and alcohol.  I am supplementing my diet with Vitamin D supplements and a multi-vitamin for men over the age of 50.

I had been hoping that I could get down to under 200 pounds before we headed off to the beach this week.  This morning, I looked down at my digital scale to see a reading of 201.5 pounds.  It has been several years since I have been under 200 pounds, but I am almost there.  Ultimately, I would like to lose another 20 pounds or so, but I am happy with the 25 pounds that I have lost since the incident.

It is hard to change bad habits.  In the past, I have been able to lose a lot of weight, but each time I did so, I would lapse back into those bad habits and gain it all back and then some.  However, in the past I had never had a health scare that forced me to take stock of things.  In the past when I decided to lose weight it was tied to vanity and wanting to look better.  I am hopeful that my health scare has prompted some permanent behavior change.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails