Thursday, August 11, 2011

CPAP

This is my own machine of which I took the pic...Image via WikipediaA couple weeks ago, I had my sleep study to check for sleep apnea.  They said that it would take about two weeks for them to review all of the data and to get back to me with the results.  Originally, they told me they would send the results to my doctor and that I would hear from him once he had the report.  Consequently, I was a little bit surprised when I received a phone call from the hospital where I had the original test done. 

When I picked up the phone, they told me that they were calling to schedule another sleep study.  My initial thought was that they were not able to get a good enough reading during the first test.  For one thing, I never sleep very well when I am away from home.  After they hooked all the wires to me, it felt like I had 10 pounds of wire hanging off of me.  All of that combined, and I felt like I was awake most of the night for the test.   

When I asked why the need for the second study, I was told that I was diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea.  The recommendation is that I used a CPAP machine when I sleep.  They want me to come in for the second study while using the CPAP machine.  The purpose of the CPAP machine is to provide air pressure to prevent the blockages that occur while sleeping if you are suffering from sleep apnea.

I have some mixed feelings about the CPAP machine.  I have read that people who use the CPAP machines successfully experience better sleep and feel more rested when waking.  Consequently they tend to be more alert and have more energy.  Successful use of the device also helps to reduce the risks associated with having sleep apnea.

On the other hand, I have also heard that some people have trouble sleeping while using CPAP.  I also worry that device will be loud, though it will probably be better for my wife than my incessant snoring.  The other drawback is that you are told to use the CPAP machine every night, and most likely every night for the rest of your life.  That means I will have to take it with me whenever I travel, so I will have another thing to lug around with me on my trips.

I am scheduled to have my follow up study next week.  I am hopeful that using the CPAP device will have the desired results of better sleep.  So often, I go through the day feeling completely drained and exhausted.  It will be nice to wake up and feel like I actually got some rest.  With any treatment, there are potential side effects.  Hopefully they will be minimal. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails