Saturday, December 10, 2011

Political Ads-Getting Down & Dirty

In eleven months, it will be time for another election cycle.  That means we are soon going to be inundated with political ads on television and radio.  Since the Iowa Caucuses are just a few weeks away, those fine folks are already getting their share of political ads along with the usual Christmas shopping ads.

Now, I do not claim to be an expert on political ads and what is most effective in gaining the support of the electorate.  However, I do know what I like, and I especially know what I don't like.  I prefer ads that are positive and uplifting as opposed to negative attack ads.

Negative attack ads must work on some people, because they are so prevalent during every election cycle.  For me, however, they are a major turnoff.  With Newt Gingrich currently being the front runner among the GOP candidates, he is getting targeted in ads in airing in Iowa.

First, take a look at this ad from the Romney campaign in this "With Friends Like Newt" ad.


Next up, Ron Paul has his own attack ad against Gingrich.


Compare those ads with the "Rebuilding the America We Love" ad from Gingrich. Gingrich seems to be channeling Ronald Reagan's "Morning in America" ads. Which ads do you prefer?


The purpose of this post is not to express support for Gingrich.  He is leading in the polls and is the natural target for these ads.  I have not decided who I will vote for in the Maryland Republican primary.  By the time the Maryland primary rolls around, it might not matter.  I do want to raise the question though, do negative or positive ads sway you one way or another in deciding who to vote for come election time?

Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. The big problem with negative ads is that they have been shown to turn people off from politics, causing them not to get out and vote. They depress voter turnout.

    As such, they are inherently undemocratic and bad for our nation (IMHO).

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, and I would also submit that politicians in general turn off people

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't like listening to any of it. The players are all slippery as eels. It's really a question of who do you think can get some of the things that you would like to see accomplished, accomplished.

    I'm currently leaning toward Newt because I don't like any of the others very much, and Newt clearly knows how to get things done in DC.

    Being a good person is no measure of effectiveness. see Jimmy Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not looking forward to the attack ads when the repubs turn on the dems,especially given the tone of the attacks on each other in the quest for the republican nom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you, Shark

    Please, Mike, every time Obama opens his mouth it is an attack ad. Do you really think the Dems won't be putting out attack ads of their own?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails