Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow is a 4-Letter Word

Well the worst of the blizzard is over.  Now the shoveling out begins.  I actually have been out twice already to start the process.  I have at least dug a path to get out to the front of our cars to begin the process being able to move them.  To be honest, I don't expect to be able to get out anywhere until Monday at the earliest.  I am not as young as I used to be and I am definitely not in as good a shape as I could be.  I don't want to overdue it.

The plows have been through a couple times already and when I was outside a couple hours ago you could see pavement.  Unfortunately, the plows also have piled snow in front of the cars.  That is now frozen pretty solid and much harder to shovel.  I came back inside after the plow driver told me not to kill myself too much yet because he would be back at least two more times tonight.  I only asked that he not bury too much on his next passes through.

The roads were not too bad when it was time for me to head out to my pizza delivery job last night.  The snow was just beginning to stick to the roads as I headed out to work.  When I got to the store, they had decided to cut off delivery service to a couple of the areas we normally service.  There are a lot of narrow, winding roads in our delivery area.  Thankfully those areas were shut off early.

I made it through the night unscathed though there were a couple times I had some difficulty with sliding and stopping.  Unfortunately, at least three drivers had some sort of accident.  One driver slid off the road into a guardrail.  Another missed a turn and ended up turning into somebody's yard and had to be dug out.  The third driver had somebody slide into him.  All in all, it was not worth it (other than keeping my job by showing up) since I ended up with about four deliveries and $28.

I am assuming that we are closed tonight.  I checked the company website, and my store is not accepting online orders due to the inclement weather.  I also tried calling the store and nobody answered. For the rest of this evening, I am going to check out some of my fellow bloggers, play some games, watch the Bud Shootout, and drink a bit of red wine to help me thaw out from my earlier bits of shoveling.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

8 comments:

  1. Hey Dick. All the snow news has me remembering the D.C. blizzard back during our high-school days ('78 was it?)

    I'm not gonna say I miss snow. But these big snowstorms are the stuff of which memories are made.

    Hope all's well with you and your family. I need to catch up on my blog-reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was either 78 or 79. I just remember school was closed for a week

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was out and about in Bowie until 6::30pm last night. It wasn't too bad as long as you took it slow. It's definitely one for the record books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a better man than I Mike, I still haven't gotten the cars dug out enough to be able to move them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dickster, I posted that comment on Saturday, so I meant that I was out Friday night until 6:30pm. We didn't see a plow on my street until 4:30pm tonight, so I haven't been out since Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my bad, Mike. I am at the point where I can head out tomorrow. Need to pick up some milk and a few other things. Just found out my office is closed tomorrow so I can recuperate a bit from all the shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NBC4 has been doing live shots from Bowie all day. They interviewed a pizza deliveryman from Dominos in Bowie outside the Exxon/Mobil next to Wendy's. He said that his best tip of the day was $20.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails