Friday, February 5, 2010

Have You Ever Had One of Those Days?

Have you ever had one of those days when nothing seems to go right?  Today is shaping up to be one of those days for me.  First off, as I was getting dressed this morning, the button popped off of my khaki pants.  Fortunately, I found a second pair of khakis in the closet that fit. (I have to wear khaki pants for my part time pizza delivery gig.)  When I pulled up to the parking garage of the office, I noticed that the seam in the crotch of the pants had split.  So far it’s off to a rousing start.

Speaking of my part time pizza delivery job, it may be time to look for a new part time job.  There are a number of reasons why I would want to get out of it.  First and foremost, the job does come with its set of hazards.  Several weeks back, one of the drivers was robbed at gunpoint.  Fortunately nobody was hurt.  Second is the wear and tear on the automobile that comes with the extra driving.  Third is an incident that happened last weekend.

Saturday morning it began to snow.  At about 10:00 AM there was about an inch or two of snow on the ground.  I went out to run a couple errands.  I nearly had one accident and did a lot of sliding in general.  About 3:00 PM, we had about 5-6 inches in our complex and had yet to be plowed. I called the manager on duty to tell them I did not think I could make it in and was told that the roads were terrible and he didn’t blame me if I didn’t come in.

A couple hours later, I called to confirm that I would not be coming in to the night manager.  He told me that he was aware and that they had gotten somebody else to fill the shift.  He also dropped a bomb on me telling me that the district managers had said that they wanted anybody who did not show up for work that night to be fired.  I was told not to worry about it, that they would say I was not scheduled.

I am trying to figure out when pizza delivery drivers became essential workers during a snow emergency.  Doctors and nurses at hospitals, I understand.  They pay us $3 something an hour plus tips and they want us to put our lives and property (cars) in jeopardy during hazardous driving conditions?  I don’t think so!  It should be interesting to see if they are going to adhere to this policy this weekend.  In a few hours, we are expecting a major storm to come through the area.  They are calling for over 2 feet of snow.  I would like to think that we would be closed in that case.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. Tough day. Hey, if you're out delivering pizzas tonight, I'm calling your franchise owner and giving him a "pizza" my mind! Hope you're snuggled up with something warm. Have a great snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Mike

    II-I don't think I am going anywhere tonight. I plan to curl up with a nice box of Cabernet.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails