Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Another Reason to Drink Beer

Kranz (Wreath) of KölschImage via Wikipedia
As if I needed another reason to imbibe in one of my favorite beverages, beer, besides its great taste, beer may have some additional health benefits.  In particular, a recent study showed that beer is a good source of dietary silicon.  This dietary silicon has been shown to improve bone health and could help fight osteoporosis.

The study, conducted by researchers at the University of California, found that brews that were rich in hops and pale barley malts provided the most silicon.  Pale malted beers were better sources of silicon than wheat beers or darker brews.  Two beers could provide 30mg. of the dietary silicon.  There is not a recommended daily allowance for silicon, but most get between 20-50mg. daily.

Like anything else, all things in moderation.  More isn't always better.  So, if you are concerned about your bone health, especially you ladies, go ahead and have a beer or two.  I think I have a couple cans in the fridge, so I will lift a glass and drink to your health.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. Good news. I knew there was a reason I liked beer so much, now I found another reason, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer, The Breakfast of Champions!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any time, Paul. That's why I am here.

    Well, Don, Beer does have a lot of the elements of cereal

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails