Friday, December 16, 2011

Here are a Few of My Least Favorite Things

Santa Claus Conquers the MartiansImage via WikipediaEarlier this month, I share a few of my favorite things about Christmas.  Now I thought that I would share a few of my least favorite things.  Some of these things I downright hate.  Fortunately, there is a lot more that I live about Christmas than I don't like.

For years, I always found the Barking Dogs version of Jingle Bells to be highly irritating.  That song, however, is not my least favorite Christmas song.  No, that dubious distinction belongs to Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.  To me, there is absolutely nothing joyous and festive about that song.

Speaking of Christmas songs, I do enjoy when the radio stations start mixing Christmas music in with the regular programming.  More songs get added to the playlist each week, culminating in nothing but Christmas music on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  It is the perfect formula in my view.

For the past few years, one of the radio stations that I listen to on occasion takes a different tack when it comes to their programming.  Rather than mixing in some Christmas music with their regular programming, they start 24 hours of Christmas music prior to Thanksgiving.  That is way to early for me.

There is no shortage of Christmas movies to choose from this time of year.  With so many to choose from, there is bound to be a few clunkers out there.  Santa Claus Conquers the Martians usually tops a lot of polls as the worst Christmas movie of all times, however, I vaguely remember enjoying it when I was a kid.

I also tend to stay away from Christmas films that mock the holiday or are basically horror films set at Christmastime.  They do not qualify as Christmas movies in my mind.  I will say that there is one film that is revered at this time of year that I have never cared for and that film is It's a Wonderful Life.

The last thing during the Christmas season that I do not like is the crowds.  As we get closer to Christmas, it becomes increasingly more difficult to deal with the crowds.  People in the shopping centers and in particular the shopping center parking lot become increasingly more aggressive.  It hardly brings to mind tidings of good cheer.

There really is so much more to like about Christmas than to dislike.  These are just a few things that tend to get my goat.  How about you?  Is there anything that causes you grief or anxiety this time of year?

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails