Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Back to the Drawing Board

Pharmacy Rx symbolImage via WikipediaCurrently, I am on four different medications for various ailments and/or conditions.  I also take a daily dose of Vitamin D for a low Vitamin D level in my blood.  To save myself time and trouble, I have all four of my prescriptions set up for automatic refill at my pharmacy.

One day last week, I noticed that I was getting low on one of my medications and it had not been filled yet by the pharmacy.  I called to check on it and was told that I was out of refills but that they would send something to my doctor for a refill.  No worries, I had enough to last until yesterday and figured I had plenty of time to get it filled.

As of Monday afternoon, the prescription still had not been filled.  I called the doctor's office to check on the status of getting the refill and was told that the doctor wanted to see me before writing a new prescription.  The timing of this was not very good due to a lot of things going on at work, but I ended up having to take the morning off to visit the doctor.

The visit was rather non-eventful.  He went ahead and wrote three new prescriptions for medications that no longer had refills.  He reran a couple of tests that he ran last summer when I have my little scare that led to me going on the CPAP machine.  He also decided that he wanted to run another series of blood tests to compare them to the ones he ran during the summer.

There are a couple of things from the last blood tests that needed to be reviewed.  First, he wanted to check to see if my Vitamin D level has improved since I started taking the supplements.  Another concern is that my blood sugar level is a little elevated, and he wanted to make sure I wasn't pre-diabetic.  The last concern is my cholesterol level.  My total cholesterol has been in the acceptable range but my bad cholesterol has been a little on the high side.

There was one other thing that we talked about that I really didn't need him to tell me because I already knew.  I need to lose some weight.  I had done so well last year losing about 25 pounds.  Unfortunately, I started to fall back into my old habits and gained all of the weight back.  So now, just in time for all the holiday feasts and goodies, I need to start watching what I eat again.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This sound's exactly like my own doctor visits. We must be about the same age...

    ReplyDelete
  2. judging from your picture, I would say we are probably pretty close, 50 here

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails