Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What Should I Do?

I got a pleasant little surprise the other day.  I received an extra money that I wasn't expecting in the form of a gift card.  I am not really sure what I want to do with it.  I have a few different ideas going through my head, but none that are currently jumping out at me right now.

I have already finished my Christmas shopping, so I don't think that I will be using it for presents.  One thought that I had was using it to get my son an extra game or two for his big Christmas present of a Playstation 3.  Right now, he will have two gifts to open, the Playstation and a Madden 12 football game for it.

Another option would be to use it for a couple of things that I need or that we need for the household.  I could use the money for some new shoes or some new clothes that I could use.  Both cars are pretty close to needing their oil changed, so it could cover a couple of trips to Jiffy Lube.

The found money could also be used to do somethings that my wife and I do not get to do very often.  We like to go out to dinner or lunch every now and then.  Usually, we go someplace fairly inexpensive like a Red Robin or other casual restaurant.  There is a seafood restaurant that we love that is fairly expensive that we do not get to go to very often.  Coincidentally, when we eat there the tab usually ends up being around the value of the gift card.

One final option would be to do something that I rarely get to do for myself; to splurge on something for me.  Last year at my office Christmas party, we received an American Express Gift Card.  I had been thinking that if we got something like that this year, I could use it on something I would not normally buy for myself, like a very nice bottle of scotch.  Our party is in two weeks, so that still could happen.

I have gotten to the point where I really hesitate to spend money too quickly when I get it.  It would be nice to splurge on something just for me, but part of me thinks that as soon as I do some expense will come up unexpectedly.  So, should I do something practical either for me or others, or should I splurge on something just for me or dinner with the little missus?     


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I go through all those same agonies when I have a small windfall, too. Not sure I can be much help, but it seems like using some or all of it to help maintain a good relationship with the spouse is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well,the spouse thinks she already has gotten her Christmas present early when I got her a new cell phone but there is a little something for under the tree.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails