Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My New Phone

My Droid IncredibleImage by kjarrett via FlickrBack in November, I received a notice from my wireless phone provider informing me that I was able to upgrade my phone to a newer model.  For the past two years, I had been using a BlackBerry Storm.  I had been fairly happy with the BlackBerry, but there were a few things that had started to bother me about it. 

First, there were a lot of things that I had not been able to do with the BlackBerry browser.  There were a number of websites that I could not access with it, especially some of the paid review sites I had been using that required quick responses to some notifications that I received via email.  A second issue, and an even more important one was that I was having a lot of issues with the memory in my phone.  Frequently, the memory usage of the phone would bog down the whole system and I would have to remove the battery to reset the phone.  It was becoming a major hassle.

I had been debating on whether or not to stick with the BlackBerry format or to switch to a Droid phone.  The more I began to research the differences, the more I began to lean towards a Droid.  Even though I was eligible to upgrade my phone, I thought that I would have to wait until I received either a tax refund or hopefully a bonus from my employer in March.  Thankfully, I woke up one Sunday morning in early December and had received an email from Best Buy informing me that they were having a smartphone sale and that I could upgrade to a HTC Droid Incredible with my current service provide at no cost to me other than extending my contract for two years.

Now, I am all about saving money whenever I can.  Had it not been for the sale, I was looking at having to put out $250-$300 to upgrade my phone.  Needless to say, I jumped all over the free phone.  I have had the new phone for about a month now, and I have to say, that I am quite happy with it's performance.  I no longer have the issues that I was having with the Storm.  I have been able to visit quite a few sites that I was unable to visit on the BlackBerry, and there has been no bogging down of the phone due to running out of memory. 

About the only complaint that I have with the phone is the sensitivity of the touch screen when I am scrolling through my contacts.  There have been several times when I have inadvertently dialed a number by mistake.  Once, I removed my phone from my belt holster to put it on the charger.  After attaching the charger, I noticed that I had accidentally dialed my parents house.  It was almost midnight, and they are usually in bed fairly early.  I hope I was able to disconnect the call before it rang on their end.  Another time, I had my phone in my hand as I was walking through a store.  When I looked at the screen, I had inadvertently activated the camera and had taken three pictures.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the phone.  I hope that the few issues that I have had thus far are just a case of me getting used to the new device.  The only other concern I have is that the Incredible, like the Storm, only has a virtual keyboard.  Once with the Storm the screen shorted out and I was unable to view anything on the screen.  I could only receive calls and place voice activated dialing, which did not work very well.  I do have to say that the virtual keyboard on the Incredible is much more responsive, at least to me, than on the Storm, so hopefully it will hold up better.

 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails