Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve

Happy New Year 2011Image by [ Mooi ] via FlickrIn a few more hours, people will be getting ready to celebrate the New Year.  I do not have any grand plans for the evening.  In fact, I will be working; delivering fresh hot pizza to the revelers out there.  I do not have an issue with working tonight.  It has been several years since I have "celebrated" the New Year.

Tonight, I am scheduled to work until midnight, but most nights I usually get off work by 11pm.  I am hoping it slows down early enough to allow me to leave before midnight so I can get home before too many lunatics hit the road.  I usually need to unwind for a couple hours after work, so I will definitely be up when it is time to ring in the New Year.  Most of the time, I am awake when the clock strikes midnight, but I rarely am paying attention to it.  Tonight will be no exception.

The other thing about the New Year is the tradition of New Year's resolutions.  I generally do not make them.  After all, it is hard to improve upon perfection.  Just kidding, there are a lot of areas in my life that I would like to improve upon.  I have given up on making resolutions for the New Year because they usually do not work for me.  Unless my mindset is such that I am prepared to make those changes, those resolutions usually don't last a week for me.  I am much better off to wait until I am mentally ready to tackle those challenges.  There is nothing magical about January 1st if I do not have my mind set on achieving those goals.

I am not sure when my attitude for the New Year changed.  It was always a tradition for me to stay up and watch the New Year come in.  Usually it meant watching Dick Clark's New Year's Rocking Eve.  Other times it was getting together with a few close friends and/or family.  I guess it all started to change after my wife and I had our son.  The first couple years we would at least stay up and watch the ball drop in Times Square on TV.  Now our entertainment tastes have gotten to the point where we do not like the acts that perform on the New Year's shows, so we tune out.

How about you and your family?  Is the celebration of the New Year important to you?  Will you be making resolutions or not?  Either way, here is hoping you have a happy and healthy 2011.


Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Well, if I remember right, delivering pizzas has made for some rather interesting encounters for you. Yeah, you have indicated that you have never been actually met at the door by a couple of very generous co-eds, but I still harbor some serious doubts about that. Anyway, I hope 2011 proves to be a very good year for you-all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. about the funniest thing that happened was I showed up at this one house. I got there delivery to them in about 15 minutes. Nobody answered the door. After two or three knocks, I decided to walk around to the back yard because it was a nice afternoon. When I came back, there were two kids in the front yard.

    The oldest kid said that their mom and dad were kind of busy and didn't think they wanted to be disturbed. I told him that somebody had to pay for the pizza. About that time, the mom comes down with her bath robe on to pay for the pizza. Guess they thought they had 30 minutes

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails