Saturday, December 11, 2010

Time for a News Blackout

The O'Reilly FactorImage via Wikipedia
Fox News ChannelImage via WikipediaI am tired.  Exhausted really.  There are a couple of reasons.  Part of it is because for most of the past 20 years, I have worked two jobs.  Not complaining, but you do what you have to do to pay the bills and put some food on the table.  Another part would be dealing with the difficulties of the issues with my son.

Prior to getting into blogging, I was probably your typical American.  I watched the local nightly news, checked out a few websites to be informed of things that interested me, but for the most part didn't get into the details of the happenings in DC.  As long as I was working and doing OK, it just wasn't that important to me.

As I got into blogging, and started looking for subjects to right about.  I had gotten tired of listening to the local sports talk radio station and found a fairly balanced talk radio show in the mornings, that featured three local reporters with both liberal and conservative commentators.  The station eventually switched over from commentary to only Federal news.

I then started listening to WMAL630 with Fred Grandy in the morning.  They were definitely my conservative, but my political views were more conservative to begin with.  It is there that I would also listen to Sean Hannity and Mark Levin.  Frequently, I will hear stories on this station, not always political, that would inspire a particular blog post.

Politically, I consider myself to be a Libertarian, though I am registered as a Republican.  Most of my views would be considered conservative and while I definitely do not always agree with the Republicans, especially on social issues, I do fine myself more in agreement with the GOP, especially when compared with the Democrats.

In addition to WMAL630, I found myself watching a lot of Fox News channel in the evenings.  In particular, The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity, and On the Record with Greta Van Susteren.  In recent months though, I find myself tiring of it, especially O'Reilly and On the Record. Plus several of the more liberal leaning guests on all the shows have a tendency to raise my blood pressure.  It has gotten to the point where I have been considering a self imposed news blackout of sorts.

The idea of the news blackout has really come to a head this past week with all of the hand wringing on both sides of the political spectrum in regards to the deal that Barack Obama announced regarding the extension of the Bush era tax rates.  I actually wanted to give the President some credit for the bipartisan agreement, but he couldn't go without attacking those that don't agree with him.  Of course the more left members of the Democrats and the more right members of the GOP are all attacking the agreement.

For the entire week, I have been listening to Mark Levin blasting the agreement.  He has gone on and on about how the GOP should be holding out for even more concessions from the Democrats, even if it means waiting until they take control of the House in January.  Hannity has been picking up on the theme of holding out, even if it takes a month or two to get a deal and how it would be an "interesting game of chicken."  I actually turned off Levin as he started his opening monologue last night and switched to music in the car.

While philosophically, I am in agreement with their position, the practicality of it leaves me scratching my head.  If the tax rates are left to expire, then folks that are living pay check to pay check currently will really be struggling when the tax withholding goes up on January 1.  It is funny that the very people who want a prolonged battle with the Democrats are the same ones that can afford to have a little extra money withheld from their paychecks.

Meanwhile the Democrats continue their class warfare battle.  They are all up in arms about the tax rates being extended for everybody, especially the evil rich.  They are even more irate at the proposal to have a break in the estate tax. I have never understood the logic of an estate tax.  A man or woman can work hard all their life, pay taxes on everything they earn, and save for their children.  Then when they die, the government wants to confiscate property that had already been taxed.

So now, I say a pox on both their houses.  I am not sure I am going to completely go on a news blackout, but I may cut back considerably.  Plus it is time for the holidays.  Over the next two weeks, I am considering running a 12 Days of Christmas theme where I will post a Christmas related post for 12 straight days, culminating on Christmas day.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. ugh . . . I needed a break too. I'm sick and tired of all the finger pointing and nothing getting done.

    After a while, everyone on Fox News is starting to sound like screeching memes . . .

    I've turned on the Christmas music :)

    Great post . . . Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gina. I have enough stress in my life to deal with that I don't need them adding on to it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails