Friday, November 4, 2011

I Can't Drive....15?

Two DC City Council members have proposed lowering the speed limit in the District from 25 mph to 15 mph in residential areas of the city. They say that it is necessary for the safety of pedestrians and bicyclists.  It should come as no surprise that both of them are Democrats.

Now, I try to a considerate and law abiding driver.  I have been driving for 34 years, and I think in that time I have a total of 3 or 4 tickets during that time.  Still, as much as I try to obey the speed limit signs, I do find it difficult to stay under 25 mph.  I have to really make an effort to obey a 25 mph limit.  I can't imagine trying to drive at 15 mph.

The radio station that I listen to was talking about the proposed law while I was heading into work this morning.  Needless to say, most of the callers into the program were against the proposed new law.  Most felt that it would be just another way for the district to increase their revenue streams.

I had a couple of thoughts while listening to the discussion.  First, I spend a good bit of my commute each morning on the beltway going about 15 mph, or less, especially between 95 and 270 thanks to the huge amount of congestion on the road.  It doesn't matter how early I leave the house to avoid traffic, there is always a backup.

The other thought that I had was if Sammy Hagar can't drive 55, how would he handle a 15 mph speed limit?  Not very well, I would guess.  Also, it gives me an excuse to post the Sammy Hagar video below.



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. in my view safety first and to hell if it was democrats or republicans proposing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is no need for a 15 mph limit

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails