Monday, February 13, 2012

Music Monday-Whitney Houston "I Will Always Love You"

I was not a fan of Whitney Houston. There were a few songs of hers that I like. When I Wanna Dance with Somebody came out in the mid 1980's, I was a single guy who hung out in bars on the weekends with my buddies.  I am sure that I danced multiple times to that song during those days.

I was working on Saturday night delivering pizza when I heard the news that Whitney Houston had been found dead in her hotel room at the age of 48.  We do not yet know the cause of her death, but given her past history of drug abuse regardless of whether or not she had fallen off the proverbial wagon, her past abuse could have taken its toll on her body.

It is rare that I like a cover of a song better than the original version.  Whitney's cover of Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You is one of those.  Dolly Parton wrote the song and released it in 1974.  She also had it as part of The Best Little Whorehouse soundtrack in which she starred with Burt Reynolds in 1982.

While I like Dolly's version, Whitney's version simply blows it away.  For your listening pleasure, I have put both versions on this post.  RIP Whitney.


 
 Dolly's Version
Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. Rules are simple. Leave ONLY the ACTUAL LINK POST here and grab the code below and place it at your blog entry. You can grab this code at LadyJava's Lounge Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.   PS: Because of spamming purposes, the linky will be closed on Thursday of each week at midnight, Malaysian Time. Thank you!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. RIP Whitney, we will always love you and this is also one of my favourite numbers from her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both versions are great in their own way, but Whitney's does blow me away every time I hear it. My heart goes out to her daughter.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails