Sunday, February 26, 2012

TrueTwit

Are you active on Twitter and other social media?  Over the past few months, I have gotten quite a bit more active on Twitter, though lately  I have been so busy with work and preparing for meetings regarding my son I have been a little less active of late.  One of the things that I did was that I started to use TweetAdder to help manage my followers.

The great thing about TweetAdder is that it allows me to search for people that I want to follow by keywords in their profile.  Usually, those keywords involve conservative politics or other things that interest me.  If somebody I add does not follow me back, I have the option to have TweetAdder unfollow that person. It also allows me to follow back automatically those Twitter users that follow me. 

In the time that I have been using TweetAdder, I have come across several Twitter users that are using a service called TrueTwit.  The idea behind TrueTwit is to reduce the amount of spam in your Twitter feed by having potential followers verify that they are human by using those dreaded captcha codes.  You could avoid entering the captcha codes if you signed up for the service itself. 

The idea behind TrueTwit is OK in and of itself, but I never signed up to use it.  One of the reasons that I never signed up to use it is that in the back of my mind I thought it might inhibit the number of followers you could get.  Personally, I have some difficulty with the codes so there have been times that I didn't want to be bothered with it.

Yesterday, I received a direct message on Twitter telling me that one of the people I was attempting to follow was using TrueTwit.  When I went to the link to enter the verification code, there was an ad banner where the captcha code used to be.  No matter what I did, I could not get to a captcha code.  I tried on my Android phone and tablet, Firefox, and Chrome.

Today, I have discovered that instead of the old captcha code, TrueTwit is now using a new verification program from Solve Media.  It requires that you look at a banner ad and enter the phrase that appears in the ad as verification instead of the old captcha codes.  It was really not very intuitive at first glance.

Once you know what you are dealing with in the Solve Media ads, it is actually a lot easier to know what to enter as opposed to deciphering a captcha code.  Still, the idea that I have to interact with an advertisement in order to follow somebody on Twitter is bothersome to me.  At this point, I think I will stop going to TrueTwit to verify that I am human just to follow somebody on Twitter.




Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails