Thursday, February 9, 2012

Westboro to Protest Powell Funeral

Westboro Baptist Church members from Topeka, K...
Image via Wikipedia
In the book of Matthew, Chapter 7, Verses 21-23, the LORD Jesus Christ is quoted as follows:
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Whenever I see anything in the news that concerns the folks at Westboro Baptist Church, I think of those verses.   To be perfectly honest, I probably should not be posting about this right now because my wife and I just had a nice dinner at one of my favorite local brew pubs.  I have had a couple of pints and am feeling slightly buzzed.  On the way home from dinner, I read the latest object of one of Westboro's protests, so instead of feeling mellow and relaxed, I am downright angry.

If you are not familiar with Westboro Baptist Church, they are an extreme independent Baptist Church known for their ardent anti-homosexual point of view.  They are known to protest at the funerals of our fallen soldiers claiming that their deaths are the result of our country's lax views on homosexuality.  They often have signs that state "God Hates Fags" or "Thank God for AIDS."  Hardly the love the sinner, hate the sin view expressed in most mainstream churches and far from the view that Jesus would express.

I have had three previous blog posts that have talked about Westboro Baptist Church.  If you care to read them you can find those posts here:
After dinner, I let my wife drive home and started flipping flew some articles on my phone.  The story begins with the story of Josh Powell, who recently killed himself and his two sons in the state of Washington.  Powell was the main focus of an investigation of the disappearance of his wife Susan Powell a few years ago in Utah.  He had recently been denied custody of his children, and as a coward that he is, took the lives of his innocent children.  A special place in Hell is waiting for him.

The story that set me off was this one that I saw in my USA Today mobile app.  The members of Westboro Baptist Church have announced that they are going to protest outside of the funeral of the two Powell sons.  They state that their deaths are a direct result of Washington Governor Christine Gregoire's decision that she will sign into law a bill authorizing same sex marriage in the state.  Westboro claims that the two children died as a result of her rebellion against God's law by authorizing gay marriage.

HOGWASH!  Regardless of where you stand on the issue of gay marriage, to make the connection between that and the senseless murder of two young children by a murdering coward is nonsensical.  I tweeted a link to the article on Twitter with the comment that Westboro Baptist Church is the lowest form of life on Earth.  It must have resonated with some of my followers on Twitter because so far it has been retweeted five times.

I have longed believed that those that are the most vehemently anti-homosexual are probably harboring their own latent homosexual tendencies.  I remember joking with a coworker one time saying that the reason he was so homophobic was that he was afraid that if he tried it he would like it.  His reply was "damned straight."  It makes me wonder what really goes on in the mind of the leader of Westboro Baptist Church.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I read this yesterday and had to walk away because I was so angry. These babies didn't deserve to die the way they did and they sure don't deserve to have THESE AHOLES at their funeral just because they want the publicity. I hope they rot with Powell in hell. God Bless those babies and their mother. Still steaming I guess........

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails