Saturday, October 16, 2010

Time

The Passage of TimeImage by ToniVC via FlickrTime.  It is arguably are most valuable resource.  It is the one thing that just about everyone I know wishes they had more of.  Seriously, do you know of anybody who wishes they had less time? 

Just yesterday, I was talking with a friend at work about all the things we would like to do if we had more time.  Some of the things we talked about were simple things like getting more movement/exercise in our lives or even taking the time to prepare healthier meals.  It is just so much easier to grab something already prepared, and usually less healthy. 

We both have fairly long commutes to the office, at least an hour each way.  During the work week, it is my goal to get up and out of the house by 7:00 am.  Usually, I am in the office by around 8:30 and usually work until 5:30 pm.  By the time I get home, it is usually between 6:30- 7:00 pm.  The day is pretty much shot at that point, and it is time for dinner and a couple hours to get family time and whatever "me" time that I can get in before turning in for bed.

A typical evening consists of dinner, Wheel of Fortune (one of my son's favorite shows), and doing all of my internet activities.  The internet activities consist of writing this blog, visiting other blogs for my blog networks, and activities that I do to try to make a few extra bucks like Sponsored Tweets, paid blog posts on Social Spark, and being a guide for ChaCha.com.  I also spend time playing a few different games on Facebook.  It is only three games on Facebook, but they take up entirely too much time.

The weekends are a little better, but not that much better.  Saturdays are particularly full with the part time pizza delivery gig.  I run a few errands in the morning, and then have a few hours to relax before heading off to deliver pizza.  On Sunday mornings I go out to do the grocery shopping, then hopefully, have the rest of the day to relax.  Even during my "relax" time, I am usually doing the blogging stuff and Facebook games.  All while hanging out with my son and making him various CDs and DVDs.

I have already started pruning some of my activities to free up extra time where I can.  I used to have a premium membership to Pogo.com, an online games site, that I have let expire because I hadn't been playing as often as I had.  I have also cut out a couple of the Facebook games that I had been playing.  Of the Facebook games that I still play, some don't get played everyday, and some only get a cursory glance during the week.  Still, there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get it all done.

I am sure I am not the only one who feels this way.  What kind of things do you do to carve out more quality time in your life for yourself and your family?  Cutting back on sleep and adding more caffeine to the diet probably aren't the best options.  I am already sleep deprived enough.






Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I am a fairly avid science fiction fan, and I wonder if I may have been running into some pockets of temporal instability in subspace. For each day seems to drag along, and yet, weeks (even months!) zip by at light-speed. Of course, it could all be a result of me not paying close enough attention. No, I think I'll stick with the pockets of temporal instability theory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty funny Fish. One thing I have found, as I have gotten older, time seems to go much more quickly than it did than when I was a kid

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails