Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chilean Miners Rescued

The First Chilean Miner RescuedImage by FredMikeRudy via Flickr
The human spirit and the will to survive is an amazing thing.  After over two months of being trapped in a mine 2000 feet deep, all 33 miners have been rescued.  All seem to be in relatively good health, and here is hoping nobody has any serious problems and recovers fully.

As is usually the case in these humanitarian efforts, the US played an integral roll in the rescue.  The drill that finally broke through to reach the miners was made in the US.  The drill was operated by a US engineer who flew from Afghanistan to take part in the rescue effort.  NASA engineers designed the rescue capsule that would bring the miners to the surface.  But the real story is the leadership and cooperation that the miners themselves displayed to survive.

Each miner will have their story to tell and will forever be changed.  All will need time to recover and spend time with their families.  Some will have a tougher time than others.  Miner #21, Yonni Barrios, whose wife and mistress found out about each other during a vigil for the trapped miners.  Mrs. Barrios was not there for the rescue, but his mistress was.

Personally, I can't imagine what they must have been going through during the two months of being trapped. I know how stir crazy I can get when I can't go anywhere.  There were a couple times I was hospitalized for a week or more when I suffered blood clots in my legs. During that time I could not shower or wash my hair due to the IV that I had.  I remember how nasty I felt.  Can you imagine over two months without a shower or change of clothes?  At least during my hospital stays I had access to televisions and visits from friends and family.

In all seriousness, the story of these guys and their survival is amazing and inspirational.  Here is hoping that all make a full recovery and suffer no long term problems from their adventure.  I am sure some will write books or sell their stories.  They all deserve the opportunity to tell their story.  Good luck and welcome home.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails