Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Birthday John

Today would have been John Lennon's 70th birthday had Mark David Chapman not assassinated him nearly 30 years ago.  Yoko Ono had asked for people to celebrate his memory by posting videos on YouTube.  Since I do not currently have the ability to do that, I will be posting my thoughts through my humble blog.

John Lennon has always been and will always be my favorite member of the Beatles.  There was a certain charm about John.  His sarcastic wit and disregard for figures of status or authority were appealing to me in my youth.  While my political views today would be the polar opposite of John's, I still have the same acerbic sense of humor.

I still remember the feeling I had in the pit of my stomach when I woke up that December morning to find that John had been murdered.  I literally felt sick and could do nothing that day.  He had just released his first album in years and had been working on a follow up to it.  I can't help but wonder how much more great music he had in them.

Today is not a day to dwell on his death but to celebrate his life.  He brought so much great music to the world and helped shape a generation of youth.  It was a life cut too short, but it was a full and awesome life.  Happy Birthday, John.  I will always love and respect your music and your talent.  

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails