Tuesday, March 23, 2010

November is Coming

SAN FRANCISCO - AUGUST 14:  A protestor holds ...Image by Getty Images via Daylife
This morning, like most mornings, I was headed into work listening to the radio during my commute. The Grandy and Andy show on WMAL630 here in DC featured a guest from Americans for Prosperity. The guest was speaking about the passage of the health care reform bill on Sunday. His group, has a website, November is Coming.

The original purpose of the site was to be a petition to inform Congress that if they voted for the bill, then the intention of those that signed the petition would be to vote those members out of Congress.  Now that the bill has passed, their goal is to keep reminding folks of those who voted and that our goal is to vote them out of office.

I decided at that time to sign up at the site.  Then I sent a tweet from my Twitter account: "November is Coming.  I signed up. Join Me." and posted a link to the site.  Recently, my mother got a Twitter account set up that she monitors through her FIOS TV.  She replied to my tweet.  The conversation went like this:
  • Mom- What did you sign up for?
  • Me-To vote against anybody that voted for the health bill
  • Mom-Why don't you want health care?
  • Me-Not enough space in Twitter to explain
Thank goodness for 140 character limits.  It is not that I and others did not want health care reform.  It is just that we did not want the bill that was forced down our throats on Sunday and signed by Barack Obama today.  I am sure there are a few things in there that are worthwhile, but so much of it is bad.  I will be brief in listing some of them here, in no particular order.
  1. The majority of Americans were opposed to the legislation.  They overwhelmingly wanted the Democrats to start over and work with Republicans on a bipartisan bill in those areas where there was agreement.  They refused to listen to the American people.
  2. The New England Journal of Medicine released a study showing that nearly half of doctor's would consider leaving the medical field if the bill passed.  
  3. The strong arm tactics and out and out bribery used by the White House, and the Congressional leaders to get the bill passed, including the Cornhusker Kickback and the Louisiana Purchase.
  4. Immediate tax increases, but benefits don't start for four years.
  5. $1 trillion cost.
  6. Fine and possible jail time for anybody who does not purchase the kind and amount of health insurance approved by the government and enforced by the IRS.
I suppose I could go on, but that is enough for now.  Except for one a couple words regarding Bart Stupak.  Though I primarily disagree with most of his politics, I was glad to see him standing up for his principles in regards to the abortion language of the bill.  Except he caved.  Sure Obama said he would sign an executive order prohibiting federal funding of abortion. But he hasn't yet.  And really, what good would that executive order be?  After all, Obama signed an executive order on January 22, 2009 ordering that GITMO be closed in no less than a year.  We are two months pass the anniversary of that order, and it is still open.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the link.
    I am heading over there now and sign up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vote them out in November. I hope Americans remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoyer is my Congressman so I really want to vote him out. I also have a Senate race this year

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails