Saturday, January 17, 2009

Miracle on the Hudson

On Thursday, US Airways Flight 1459 took off from LaGuardia Airport and quickly lost both engines when they collided with a flock of geese.  The pilot quickly developed his plan and performed a daring water landing.  The nation watched on live TV as boats quickly circled the plane and passengers climbed out onto the wings.  Miraculously, everyone survived. 

Much has been written praising the experience and skill of pilot Captain Sully Sullenberger and the performance of his crew.   Rightfully so.  Their performance is worthy of praise and is truly heroic.  I am not going to repeat those praises here.

Instead, I would like to take the opportunity to make another statement.  This is why I don't like to fly!  I know that there are many more pilots like Captain Sullenberger.  I know that the US airway system is the safest in the world.  However, when something goes wrong, it's pretty dramatic.  I guess part of the problem is that I don't feel like I am in control like I do when I am behind the wheel of my car.

2 comments:

  1. this is crertainly an example of what can go right in a bad situation.the piolot did a great job of saving his passengers and crew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, he did. It required quick thinking and great skill. It was amazing that nobody got seriously hurt.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails