Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cell Phones & Driving

Being a Libertarian, I am not usually a proponent of laws that restrict our freedom.  I have never been a proponent of the mandatory hands free device laws that single out cell phone users as opposed to other forms of driver distraction.  I mean is talking on the phone any more hazardous than the lady in the next lane putting on her eye makeup or the guy chowing down on a Big Mac?  

Part of the reason I am against those laws is that I just haven't been able to find a hands free device that works for me.  What is the point of having it if I have to hold the damn thing to my ear to hear what the other person is saying?  That's no different than if I had the cell to my ear.  At least then I would be able to hear the other person.  But I digress.

Today is one of those days when I can somewhat understand why these laws are getting enacted (so far the Democrats in Maryland have been unable to pass a law here, but it isn't from lack of trying).  On two occasions today I got caught behind drivers that were driving in the left hand lane traveling at least 10 miles per hour beneath the speed limit (there are states that will ticket a driver for driving too slow.)  When I finally was able to pass those drivers, sure enough, they were sitting there with the cell phone held up to their ear.

I still do not like the thought of an outright ban of handheld cell phone use while driving.  If you want to make it a secondary violation (along with other forms of driver distraction) that can draw an additional fine when pulled over for speeding or other violations, then I have no problem with that.  For those drivers that live in states where it is not a violation, if you can not talk on the phone and maintain a safe driving speed then get out of the way.  

4 comments:

  1. dickster,I consider anyone who is doing other things while driving is D.W.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't get me wrong, if I could find a decent hands free device, I would use it. Also, I don't make it a habit to use the phone while driving, but it does happen every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well when the Bh and I are in the car and the phone rings we pull off than answer the phone or I will answer it and if they want to talk to Celestine we pull oner and she takes the call.(she does all the driving now)

    ReplyDelete
  4. unfortunately, pulling off isn't usually an option on the roads I travel, and you never know when a call could be an emergency, so I don't like to let calls go to voicemail. rest assured, I end the call quickly and don't put myself in a hazardous position

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails