Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Quick & Easy Chili Recipe

I was hoping to talk my wife into starting a blog on cooking since she is a better cook than I am, but so far she is not willing to start one. After all, I am a guy, and I mostly know how to cook guy food. That usually means steaks and burgers on the grill. However, since it is winter, and there is nothing I like more than a good bowl of chili (definitely a guy food) on a cold winter's day, I thought I would share my fairly simple chili recipe.

First the ingredients:
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 medium size onion
  • a little vegetable oil (how is that for specific measurements)
  • 1.5-2 pounds of ground beef
  • 1 can of tomato paste
  • 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilis
  • chili powder
  • 1 can of kidney beans (optional)
  • Directions:

    Take a large pot (technically a Dutch Oven, but since this is a guy recipe we will go with large pot) and pour enough oil in to cover the bottom of the pot. Chop the onion and garlic, add them to the pot, and start to cook over medium/high heat, stirring frequently. Once the onions are tender, and the ground beef and cook until brown. Once the meat is brown, add the tomato paste and the two cans of tomatoes with chilis. Once all of this is mixed well together and hot, add chili powder to taste (I usually use around 2 tablespoons). Now as far as I am concerned, the chili is done, but my missus insists the chili needs beans (I keep telling her it is called chili con carne, not chili con frijoles), so if you are so inclined, add a can of red kidney beans.

    Well, there you go. Dinner is served. Pour yourself a big bowl, open a beer (do NOT pour into a glass, guys don't do that) and enjoy.


    8 comments:

    1. oooh so not fair. I was sitting here starving and trying to figure out what I want for dinner and now I want that! But it's late and no time to make it! Sounds yummy!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks, Mike

      Well the good thing, Jen, is that it is relatively quick to make. I usually whip it up on Sunday afternoons when Mrs. Dickster still makes me cook one day a week.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Take a large pot (technically a Dutch Oven, but since this is a guy recipe we will go with large pot)...

      Funny, Dick... and true. Keep it simple as possible for the guys.

      This looks like a recipe I can handle. As a matter of fact, you got me hungry for chili now.

      ReplyDelete
    4. ^yeah, I thought if I was going to approach the whole cooking/recipe thing I would try to keep it light.

      ReplyDelete
    5. That looks mighty good for such a simple recipe. Never tried garlic in my chili before, is that a guy thing too? Kidding, it looks delicious!!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. This is my Texas Coors Red chili recipe that I have had luck with over the years. It can be a bit warm though to those that aren't used to spicy foods.
      Enjoy!

      INGREDIENTS

      * 1 lb ground beef
      * 24 ounces original Coors beer
      * 2 tablespoons paprika
      * 1 small onion , diced
      * 1knorr beef bouillon cube
      * 4 teaspoons ground cumin
      * 1 teaspoon garlic powder
      * 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
      * 6 tablespoons mexene chili powder
      * 1-2 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
      * 1 (10ounce)can rotel , green chile’s and tomatoes (extra hot)
      * 1 (15ounce)can pinto beans

      DIRECTIONS

      1. Briefly sear meat and then add: diced onion,paprika,
      2. chipotle chili pepper, boullion cube, Rotel green chile’s and Coors to.
      3. cover. Simmer, covered, for 1/2 hour or so.
      4. Add cumin, garlic powder, black pepper, chili powder and beans. Cook for another 30 minutes or until meat is tender.

      ReplyDelete
    7. CORRECTION*****
      16 oz of Original Coors beer.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails