Friday, December 12, 2008

Civics Knowledge


I first heard of the American Civic Literacy test on the radio. Then I found a link to the test on The Conservative Cloakroom Blog. There is something about me that always makes me want to see how I stack up against the general population, so I took the test. I did fairly well scoring 84.7% correct. I encourage you to take the test here. Here is a summary of some of the findings of the study:

  1. 71% of Americans failed the test and the average score was 49% correct.
  2. Most Americans feel colleges should teach America's Heritage
  3. College adds little to civic knowledge
  4. TV-including TV news-dumbs down America (duh, why do you think they call it the "Boob Tube?"
  5. One of the findings that I find particularly disturbing is that elected officials scored lower than the general population.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails