Sunday, December 28, 2008

Michael Steele

It is not often that we see celebrities out and about here in Bowie, MD.  I have occasionally run into a local professional athlete, mainly a couple of Washington Capital players like Dale Hunter or Kevin Hatcher when they played here.  Former Washington Bullet Manute Bol used to live in my brother's townhouse complex.  In fact, my brother got to play in a little pick up game with Bol.

That is why I was pleasantly surprised to see former Lt. Governor Michael Steele pushing his grocery cart through the local Giant supermarket.  Normally during these chance encounters, I do not approach these folks.  For instance, when I saw Dale Hunter in a grocery store, he was shopping with his family, and I just figured he would want his privacy.
 
Today, however, I could not resist.  I stopped and spoke with Mr. Steele in the paper aisle.  Steele was quite a gentleman and was gracious enough to take the time to have a brief conversation with me.  I expressed my support for him during his time as Lt. Governor and his Senate run.  I also wished him luck in his quest to become Chairman of the RNC.  The Republican Party could do a lot worse than having Steele in a prominent role in the future of the party.  Besides, you just can't go wrong with a guy that loves puppies.

6 comments:

  1. I have an award for you on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, my brother got to play in a little pick up game with Bol.

    Wow. For reals? That's pretty damn cool, Dick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mike. I will have to come check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In fact, my brother got to play in a little pick up game with Bol.

    Wow. For reals? That's pretty damn cool, Dick!


    If I remember the story correctly, my brother Bob and some friends were playing ball and Bob had on a Red Sox hat. Manute came to the court and they started up a game. Since Manute went to college in the New England area, he picked Bob for his teammate. Bob said he just kept launching up shots from 3-point range and draining them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^ I'm just tripping on the picture in my head. That must've looked surreal. Manute looked surreal on an NBA court!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have another Manute story for you. Again, I think it may have been Bob that had this happen. He was sitting at the bank drive through and he looked over at the car next to him. There was nobody sitting where the driver should have been. When he looked again, closer to where the back seat would be was Manute. He's one lanky mother.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails