Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Hampshire Primary Preview

English: An image of the debate at Saint Ansel...Image via WikipediaIn the past 24 hours, there have been two Republican Presidential debates leading up to the first official primary of the 2012 election cycle.  I think we are up to about 85 debates since the whole process started last May.  That is a bit of an exaggeration, but there have been a bunch of them.

I did not get to see either of the two debates this weekend.  Last night, I was working delivering pizzas so I was unable to watch.  My local talk radio station did broadcast the debate on the radio so I was able to get bits and pieces of it.  Unfortunately, getting in and out of the car and often having several breaks between deliveries made it difficult to get a good grasp of how the debate went.

The second debate was held this morning.  I missed it because my local news was promoting it as being later in the day.  I logged on to Twitter this morning as the debate was ending.  I started to watch the replay on Meet the Press, but I had several errands to run this morning so I only caught the first half hour or so.  I probably won't watch any of the other replays of it today.

When the whole process started, I watched all of the debates I could.  The only ones that I have missed were the ones that have been scheduled on Saturday nights.  At this point in the process, I am pretty much numb.  I almost don't care any more.  I already know that whoever ends up being the Republican nominee will get my vote in November.

More and more, I am starting to get the feeling that Mitt Romney will end up being the Republican nominee in November.  Maryland, my state, does not hold its primary until April 3rd.  By that time, it may be decided as 31 states or territories will have already had their primaries or caucuses before Maryland has theirs.

There are 4 more debates scheduled this month, including two more next week leading up to the South Carolina primary on January 21st.  I am not sure if I will keep watching the debates, though I probably will if I am not scheduled to work.  I have become a bit of a political junkie.

My only hope that regardless of whoever ends up being the Republican candidate that the other candidates and their supporters will rally around the nominee.  The last thing we need is for somebody like Ron Paul or Donald Trump to run as a 3rd party candidate and garner enough votes to guarantee Obama's re-election.  Those who fail to learn from history are destined to repeat it, see Ross Perot.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails