Sunday, January 15, 2012

Good News, Bad News

This may end up being a purely random post, keeping in line with the title of this blog.  There are just a few little things on my mind that I feel like sharing, none of which might be enough to make a whole post on their own.  So, I am going to share a little good news and a little bad news.

First the good news.  I always love the first week of a new diet when I am trying to lose weight.  When I have that mindset to lose weight, I do not feel like I depriving myself.  The great thing about the first week of the diet is  it is the week when I lose the most weight.  Last Tuesday when I posted that I was starting this quest, weighed 228 pounds.  This morning, I weighed in at 220 pounds.  A pretty good start.

A few days ago we had our annual IEP meeting at my son's school.  Since we made the decision, along with his doctor, to cut one of his medications out, he has been doing much better.  He is no longer sleeping in class and he is doing all of his work.  He also has started eating a lot more variety of food, albeit covered in BBQ sauce.  They even told us that he recently ate French toast, with BBQ sauce.  Yuck, but whatever works.

That's pretty much it for the good news, now the bad.  While my son has been doing better at school, he still has some of his behavioral issues like dropping to the floor, hitting others, and throwing things like his shoes and glasses.  When we were at school Thursday his glasses were pretty bent at the hinge. I bent them back into place while we were there.  On Friday, we got an email from the school saying he had thrown them and they were broken at the bridge.  We had to go back out to school on Saturday to give them a spare pair.

I have mentioned before that I hesitate to buy myself things.  I have this phobia that as soon as I splurge on something for myself, then something else will go wrong around the house and I will soon have to scrape up more money.  At Christmas, I had received some American Express gift cards and some cash.  I debated on whether or not to hold on to the money or to buy myself something I wouldn't normally buy myself.  I decided to get myself a Keurig coffee maker.

As luck would have it, last Sunday I went out to do my grocery shopping and other errands with our family car, which is the one my wife uses during the week.  It hesitated a little bit before starting, so I decided to take it up to Advanced Auto Parts to have them check the battery.  The diagnostic test indicated that the battery needed to be replaced, no big surprise as the car has over 85000 miles and it was the original battery.  So I had to replace the battery.

Yesterday, I had our other car while I was out delivering pizzas.  There were a few times that my car had a difficult time starting.  Since the car has almost 90000 miles on it, I took it up to Advanced Auto Parts to check the battery.  The battery checked out as fine which means that there might be something else wrong with it like the starter.  Plus, it recently started making a squeaking noise when traveling at slow speeds. I really need to get my tax info so that I can my refund to get things looked at.

Speaking of spending money, there have been a few things that I really hate buying when I do my weekly grocery shopping.  These items are things that I consider necessities in our daily lives, but I just hate spending money on them.

  • Trash bags, I feel like all I am doing is throwing money away.
  • Toilet paper, again a necessity, but it is like flushing money down the drain.
  • Paper towels are another item that I put in the same category as trash bags.
Ironically, I do not feel the same way about laundry detergent.  I guess because I can usually find a decent brand name laundry detergent at a low price ($3-$4 a bottle) that will last several weeks, where a $6 or $7 pack of toilet paper only lasts a couple weeks.  I guess it is all a matter of perspective.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails