Friday, June 11, 2010

The Uncivil Society

I am trying to figure out when it happened.  Somewhere along the way, we have become an uncivil society.    When I was younger, neighbors looked out for one another and helped one another.  Now we don't even know their names.  More and more, it seems everybody is looking out only for themselves.

A case in point would be my townhouse complex during the blizzards of this past winter.  Our home owners association requires that we shovel the walks in front of our houses.  In our complex we have assigned parking.  Unfortunately, my parking spaces are more in front of one of my neighbors houses and not mine.  Rather than shoveling his entire walk, he only shoveled a path to his cars.  I ended up having to shovel part of his walk to get to my cars.

No better place to see how uncivil we have become than on the highways, especially in heavy traffic.  It used to be that if somebody put their turn signal on to change lanes and you let them in they would give you a thank you wave.  Now if you turn your signal on, the other driver is more likely to speed up so you can't get in.  I can't tell you how many times I have been in bumper to bumper traffic and made the cardinal sin of letting a couple car lengths come between me and the car in front of me.  Such an action is sure to bring an angry honk.

This is not to say that I am not without sin myself.  When that other driver speeds up so I can't change lanes, or cuts me off in traffic, I am not above flipping him/her the bird.  As much as I support 2nd amendment rights, there is a reason why I am not a gun owner.  Did you ever see the movie "Falling Down?"  I am Kirk Douglas.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. The scriptures relate that: "In The Last Days there shall be an increase in wickedness and the LOVE of many shall grow cold."

    In Second Timothy chapter 3, we read: "But know this, that in The Last Days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, un-thankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of Yahweh, having a form of godliness but denying its power."

    Sound familiar? It sounds like the typical American neighborhood, or community, to me.... As for "Babylon The Great," she's being rebuilt as we speak.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-8bVEIVUh8

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of this problem is the encroachment of evolution as a way of life, if you teach a generation that they are just a bunch of advanced/evolved monkeys this is what you will get people become self-absorbed in themselves and their families living by the principle of “Survival of the Fittest” instead of “Treat Others as You Would Have Others Treat You.” Most people are generally good, the problem is they have been taught the way of evolution instead of any other way, told evolution is truth and everything else is a lie or myth, but this as this has been shown in the eugenics movement of the early Twentieth Century has horrible consequences that in the end will cost the lives of millions of innocent people.

    On a quick point I don’t have a problem with teaching evolution, I just want other points of view and theories put forth to our children for a balanced education.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails