Saturday, June 12, 2010

World Cup 2010

Official 2010 FIFA World Cup match ballImage by mikkelz via Flickr
Have you heard?  The World Cup started yesterday.  Supposedly it is a big deal, but I couldn't care less.  In fact, I already wish it were over.  For the last week or so leading up to the "big event" I have seen a lot of hype about the World Cup on the news.

To paraphrase the first George Bush and his "I do not like broccoli," I proudly and unabashedly proclaim that I do not like soccer.  Sure, I have heard all the arguments.  You don't like it because you don't understand it.  Hogwash!  But it is the most popular sport in the world.  So what!

Apparently, I am not the only one that feels this way.  A recent Zogby poll showed that 63% of American men said that soccer would never be as popular as football, baseball, basketball, or hockey in the USA.  Overall, 54% of all Americans felt that way.  Only 24% of us plan to watch any of the World Cup at all.   

In my mind, I can only think of a handful of reasons to kick a ball during a sporting event; kicking a field goal or extra point, punting, or playing a rousing game of kickball.  About the only good thing to come out of soccer is the soccer style field goal kicker in football.  Although, I have to admit, I miss the good old straight on kickers like Mark Mosely.

As I said, even though the World Cup has just started, I already wish it were over.  For the next month, the news media will be bombarding us with how great the sport is.  Sportscasters will be giving us scores like 1 to nil instead of the usual 1 to nothing or 1 to zero.  Or they will talk about the pitch instead of the field.  Thank goodness the World Cup only comes around every four years.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. I also don't like soccer, especially how some don't keep score when it comes to the kids, like they are doing them good.

    Also, you forgot to mention the craziness of many soccer fans, why those people have to riot like they do sometimes is ridiculous. They act like these collage students in the US who cause a ruckus and riot after their team wins or losses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did forget to talk about the riots and other shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails