Saturday, June 19, 2010

Election Time

This is a picture of an American voting booth....Image via Wikipedia
We are a little more than 4 months away from Election Day 2010.  Locally here in Maryland things are heating up.  According to a recent Rasmussen poll, former Maryland governor Bob Ehrlich has pulled into a dead heat with current governor Martin "I never met a tax I didn't like" O'Malley.  In February, O'Malley had a six point lead over Ehrlich, so this is encouraging news.

As we get closer and closer to election day, we are going to be bombarded with campaign ads.  Living in the DC suburbs, not only will we get bombarded with the Maryland campaigns, we will also get to hear about the elections in DC and VA.  In addition to the Maryland gubernatorial race, there will be a lot of hotly contested campaigns.  At times, some of these campaign ads will be just plain annoying.

In DC, whoever wins the Democrat primary is virtually assured of winning the DC mayoral race.  Current Mayor Adrian Fenty is facing a primary challenge from fellow Democrat Vince Gray.  The other day, I was driving on the beltway when I ended up behind a DC school bus.  In the back of the bus was a Vince Gray for Mayor campaign sign.  I think that a public school bus is a highly inappropriate placement for a campaign ad.

Then there are all of the local races for county council seats.  Those are the one that really annoy me.  Last night we were headed to a Bowie Baysox game.  There were a couple of groups of campaigners holding up campaign signs and waving as the cars drove by.  Harmless enough, but annoying, at least to me.

The most annoying local candidate that I have come across lately is another one that occurred on the beltway.  It was time for the evening rush hour after a long day in the office.  As is usually the case, the beltway in Montgomery County at that time was bumper to bumper.  There was a guy driving in the lane next to me that had his picture and campaign website on a magnetic sign on his car.  As everyone is crawling along, he is honking his horn and waving to the frustrated motorists.  I wanted to flip him the bird, but decided against it.

As excited as I am about some of the upcoming elections, there is also the dread.  We are early into the campaigning and some of it has already annoyed me, but then again I am easily annoyed.  Just wait until it gets going full bore.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails