Tuesday, September 23, 2008

There's a Tear in my Beer

There has been just too much bad news lately, so I have been sitting here crying in my beer trying to figure out where things are headed. Do either of the presidential candidates have what it takes to lead the country? I just don't know. I know that Obama scares the hell out of me. I have always admired and liked John McCain, and I liked the pick of Sarah Palin when it was made.

The current administration and Congress with their bailouts of big business are going to cost us taxpayers big time in the end (I feel a little like Ned Beatty in Deliverance.) I was listening to some radio station and Newt Gingrich was on the program. He made a lot of sense on energy and the current financial problems the country is facing. As polarizing as he has been in the past, I wish he were running.

So I just need something to make me feel a little better. So here we go;

I remember in the 90's when Natalie Cole released an album of songs performed by her father, the late, great Nat King Cole. Through technology, she was able to record a duet and music video with her father of his most famous hit "Unforgetable." It rightfully went on to win a Grammy and several other awards.

However, two years prior to that, the son of a legendary country singer (who also died before his time) recorded a duet and music video with his father. Hank Williams, Jr was only four years old when Hank, Sr. passed away at the young age of 29. That songs also went on to win a Grammy and several country music awards. So here is Bocephus with his daddy Hank singing "There's a Tear in my Beer."

Oh, what the hell. Since I am now feeling a little sentimental, here are Nat and Natalie with "Unforgetable."

4 comments:

  1. ... and I liked the pick of Sarah Palin when it was made.

    Have your feelings changed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not really, I still like her. There are a couple people I would have preferred over Palin. My first choice would have been Mitt Romney.

    To be totally honest, I am not all that jazzed up about either presidential candidate. I voted for McCain in the MD primary, but it wasn't with a lot of conviction. I don't think I finally decided until I was in the booth. After the nomination was secured, there have been times when I have had some buyer's remorse and wish Romney had gotten the Republican nomination.

    On the Democrat side, when the whole process started, I initially liked what I saw from Obama. I thought he was intelligent, charming, and an inspiring speaker. The more I hear from him, however, the less I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine if Romney were the v.p. candidate right now, with the financial crisis? He could be driving the national discussion... or at least breaking it down in a way that makes sense to people.

    Palin might've pumped up the base... but in a crisis, she adds nothing. In fact, the McCain campaign seems even more protective of her.

    She seems like a pitching prospect with a great arm who got snatched up from AA ball and thrown into the Major Leagues. And that can ruin a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She seems like a pitching prospect with a great arm who got snatched up from AA ball and thrown into the Major Leagues. And that can ruin a person.

    That might be a fair assessment. I think she has a lot of potential.

    Can you imagine if Romney were the v.p. candidate right now, with the financial crisis? He could be driving the national discussion... or at least breaking it down in a way that makes sense to people.

    I have not been sure how I feel about the proposed bailout or whatever they are calling it, but I know something needs to be done. I read a transcript of an interview that Romney did on the Glenn Beck radio program yesterday. He did a great job of explaining what needs to be done and why. Romney Transcript

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails