Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fan Reaction and Tom Brady

I was driving to work this morning and listening to Mike & Mike in the Morning on my local ESPNRadio station, and they were talking about fan reaction to Tom Brady's injury. Now I understand that if you are loyal to a particular NFL team, and that team isn't the Patriots, then there is a pretty good chance that you hate the Pats. Especially if your favorite team is in the same division, or if your team was one of teams humiliated by them last year (as my Redskins were.)

It makes me wonder even more about the state of our society when I hear about the various fan reactions. When Brady's injury was shown on the jumbotron at the Dolphins/Jets games, fans cheered. At Fanhouse, there were several messages posted from Jets fans about how they cheered at the news of Brady's injury. A Pittsburgh Steeler fan site has started the "Bernard Pollard Fan Club" and is selling t-shirts commemorating the date of Pollard's hit on Brady.

I can understand if your reaction was, "Well this helps my team's chances this season." I don't understand the logic in cheering somebody's injury, and a season ending one at that. I mean it is football for crying out loud. It is supposed to be entertainment. It isn't supposed to so important that is skews our sense of right and wrong.

2 comments:

  1. A rational and empathic comment. How refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it is kind of sad that people can rejoice at the misfortune of others.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails