Thursday, September 4, 2008

NFL Season Opens

Today was the first day of the NFL season. For as long as I can remember, I have always looked forward to this day. Normally, with my Washington Redskins playing in the first game of the season, you could not keep me away from the tube and watching the game. The Redskins lost tonight to the NY Giants. I did not see the game tonight, and I just did not care. For the first time ever, I was not excited about the start of the NFL season.

It isn't because I think the Skins will have a poor season this year. Even during the lean years, I always looked forward to the start of the football season. In years past, I would never miss the start of the season. Hell, I rarely missed even a meaningless preseason game if the Redskins were playing. My wife pretty much knew that if their was a Redskins game, she could figure that I would not leave the house unless I was guaranteed to get home in time to park my ass on the couch to watch the game.

So where was I tonight that was so much more important to me than football? I was at a minor league baseball game here in Bowie, MD. For the first time in 11 years, my hometown team, the Bowie Baysox were in the playoffs. It was a great game to be at too. The Baysox won the game 11-3 behind strong pitching and five home runs, including three by Nolan Reimold (one a grand slam).

Granted, 11 years between playoff appearances is a little more special than a normal, regular season Baysox game. However, that was not the only thought in my mind tonight. I also had this thought. Once I get home from the Baysox game, I hope the football game is over so that it doesn't overlap with the Republican Convention and John McCain's acceptance speech. It isn't that I am that jazzed up about McCain as much as I can't stand the thought of the Democrats and Barack Obama winning the presidency. They scare the hell out of me and I honestly believe in the world we live in today, that their policies are wrong for America. This election season is more important to me than football. I never thought that would happen.

Don't get me wrong. If I am home, I fully expect that I will be watching the Redskins play. However, I can see myself being more willing to do something else if it comes up. There are some things that are just more important today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails