Saturday, September 27, 2008

RIP Paul Newman 1925-2008

Legendary actor Paul Newman passed away at the age of 83 after a battle with cancer. Newman became a star in the 1950's and never lost his popularity. He appeared in several classic movies like "Cool Hand Luke", "The Hustler", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," and "The Sting." He won his first Oscar in "The Color of Money," a sequel to "The Hustler." He is survived by his long time wife, Joanne Woodward, and five children.

Newman became active in auto racing after playing a driver in the movie "Winning." He participated in the 24 Hours of Dayton at the age of 70 and continued racing into his 80's.

Newman was also well known for his philanthropic activities. In 1982, he and a friend founded Newman's Own, which has grown into a hugely successful natural and organic food manufacturer. All of the profits from that company go to his charitable foundation to support his charitable causes.

A few years back, my father in law was introduced to Paul Newman in Florida. Newman was looking for a fishing charter, and the marina recommended my father in law. They were able to go out fishing on a couple of occasions. As a thank you, Newman sent a ham to my in laws which we had for a holiday dinner. The world lost a great entertainer and a true gentleman.


2 comments:

  1. I need to catch up on his '60s flicks. Never saw "Cool Hand Luke," none of that.

    Believe it or not, I never even saw "The Sting" until a few months ago. I only started following his work with "The Verdict." I like the depth he brought to his late-career roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I am like you. I haven't seen a lot of his films either. Everything I have seen, though, was top notch.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails