Friday, May 6, 2011

Gone Mobile

I am a little bit irked this morning, or at the very least frustrated.  There is no doubt that we ask our mobile phones to do more and we rely on them to do more every day.  I read and write emails from my phone, Tweet from my phone, and browse the web from my phone.

So as a blogger it would only make sense to blog from my phone.  I had tried one blogger app for my Android phone, but it wasn't very good.  I was thrilled the other day to find the official Blogger Android app in the market.

Yesterday I started to write a post on my phone using the Blogger app and saved the partial draft to finish when I got home from work.  I found the draft on my dashboard, finished writing it, and published it to my blog.  It worked exactly how I wanted it to.

Fast forward to this morning.  I opened up the app on my phone.  It still listed my post as a draft on the app.  I clicked the "view blog" button and saw the mobile version of my blog (more on that later) complete with a link to the finished post.  I clicked on the link and got a message saying the page could not be found.

I was distressed to say the least.  When I was able to open my dashboard I discovered that the post reverted back to my partially written draft.  I visited the Blogger forum and found somebody else had a similar issue but nobody had posted any kind of solution.

There are a number of reasons why I might start a post on my phone or on another computer with the intention of finishing on my laptop later.  For instance, I use Zemanta on my laptop and I like to add things from there before publishing my final post.  The mobile app is a nice thing to have but if I am unable to start a post on the phone and finish it later from home then I doubt I will use it much.

Oh, and speaking of going mobile, I recently found that Blogger has added mobile web templates to the blog functionality.  I went ahead and turned that on so a mobile version is now available.  If you have a QR code reader you can scan the QR code in this post to check the mobile version of this blog.


3 comments:

  1. Some times the solution is simple. When working on blog post ruff draft on Droid, do it in online text/doc app, like google docs. Then when home, access ruff draft, copy and paste to blog, finish and post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is that saying about old dogs and new tricks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Industrial, there are always other options to accomplish the task. It just seemed like using a blogger app would be easier.

    Thanks, Fish. That hurt. :-) Though this old dog did do this post completely on the mobile app.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails