Wednesday, May 18, 2011

25000 Big Macs

A Big Mac combo meal with French fries and Coc...Image via WikipediaI admit that I am a fairly picky eater.  Like everybody, I have my share of foods that I would classify as "favorites."  My mother used to tell me that when I was a kid, I would only eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Even today, I go through stretches where I will eat the same thing for lunch for several days in a row.

With all of that being said, I can not imagine that I would ever get to the point of eating the same thing nearly every day for 39 years like Don Gorske of Wisconsin.  Yesterday, Gorske bit into his 25000th McDonald's Big Mac on the 39th anniversary of the day he ate his first Big Mac.

As I said, I can not imagine eating the same thing every day for 39 years.  I also can not imagine eating 25000 of anything, with the possible exception of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  Today, with the government trying to control more and more of what we eat, I would think that Mr. Gorske's record of 25000 Big Macs is safe.  Today I heard the story about how the USDA is trying to limit the amount of potatoes and other starchy vegetables like corn that can be served in school lunches during the week.  If the government is trying to limit the amount of staples like potatoes and corn, just imagine how they would feel about foodstuffs like the Big Mac.

Here is the ironic thing about the argument that fast food restaurants like McDonald's are making the country fat.  In pictures, Mr. Gorske looks to be a fairly trim individual, and it is reported that his cholesterol level is in healthy ranges.  I have a coworker who eats fast food at lunch, and he is a very slim man.  In reality, it is the totality of a sedentary lifestyle, genetics, and excess calories that leads to obesity, not Big Macs and fries.  Let's not forget the man who lost 27 pounds on the Twinkie diet.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. If this isn't an advert for eating unhealthily i don't know what is. The amazing thing isn't that he has low cholesterol but that haircut and sideburns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, those are a little outdated

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails