Sunday, May 1, 2011

Wrong Number

Texting on a keyboard phoneImage via WikipediaOK, it is easy to dial a wrong number.  With the virtual keypad of my android powered phone, it is easy for me to hit the 7 key instead of the 4 key when dialing home.  There have also been times when I was scrolling through my contacts and accidentally dialed a number by mistake.  However, I usually am fairly quick at realizing my error.

I have had a couple of exchanges via text messaging with people who texted the wrong number and no matter what I did, I could not convince them that they were mistaken.  One such episode was so humorous to me that I had to blog about it nearly two years ago.  If you follow this link, you can read verbatim our text conversation. 

Eventually, my wrong number texters figured out their mistake and stopped texting me.  The question is, how many times do you have to dial a wrong number before you finally figure out that you are not reaching your intended recipient.  My wife has been having a very persistent problem caller for a couple weeks now on her cell phone.

The caller ID on her phone has been registering an odd number of digits that make us thing the call is originating from another country.  We have both answered the phone and could not understand the person on the other end, and he could not understand us.  I finally figured out that he was speaking Spanish when he told me "No entendiendo."

You would think that after reaching the number on more than a few occasions and not understanding the person you are speaking with that the realization would hit you are dialing a wrong number.  My wife went to the Verizon Wireless store and they helped her download a call blocking app for her phone.  So far today, it has blocked his calls three times.  I wish I new enough Spanish to tell him, "Dumbass, you have a wrong number."
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. We used to get a lot of wrong number calls on our landline. Most were calls for a local bookstore, or for a bank. It was consistent, different people looking for the same offices.

    Lately, we've been getting inquiries about truck ads placed on a buy and sell magazine. Er? wrong number! We do not sell trucks or any vehicles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, isn't it how many wrong numbers there can still be. Maybe more, since it's so hard to use those tiny keys.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails