Saturday, September 5, 2009

Obama's Planned Speech to Students

74326727SM003_obamaImage by cena carioca via Flickr

I think it is safe to say that I am not a fan of President Barack Obama. From a policy standpoint, there has been very little, if anything, that I have agreed with. However, I am not one to find fault with everything he does. For instance, I thought it refreshing that Obama wore jeans for his first pitch at the baseball all star game, though some criticized his "mom jeans." I also gave him props for his quick reflexes in disposing of a fly during an interview.

I am all for criticizing the president on substantive issues like health care, cap and trade, and the ever increasing budget deficit. The recent broohaha over the president's decision to address students next week to encourage them to study hard and do well in school is a bit too much for me. This type of hyper partisanship is one reason I can not identify myself as a Republican. (As a matter of full disclosure, I consider myself a Libertarian, though I am still officially registered as a Republican.)

Other presidents have addressed America's students in the past. In reality, this should be a rather benign opportunity for the president to encourage our youth. The fact that it has become a subject of intense national debate is ludicrous to me. Don't get me wrong, I do understand why conservatives have this distrust of Obama. He is far from the moderate he portrayed himself to be during the election.

In my opinion, this really does distract from the truly important issues at hand. The constant harping over everything the president does really lessens the impact of the arguments against things like health care or cap & trade. This hyper partisanship on both sides of the aisle is one of the reason the majority of Americans would like to throw all of the son of a bitches out on their asses and start over again. And to the parents out there that fear that the president is trying to "indoctrinate" their kids, if you think your kids are that susceptible to indoctrination you must not be doing a very good job with them.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. Addressing the school children doesn't bother me, but Obama entire attitude seems to lean toward government solving peoples problems..This address encouraging kids to study harder is another example..He should be seen less, not more..A good government is a small government..

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no doubt that Obama thinks big government is the answer to everything, unfortunately big government is usually the problem. There is also no doubt that he is the most over exposed president ever.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails