Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Barack Obama's First Pitch

I missed the opening ceremonies of the All-Star game last night so I did not get to see Barack Obama's ceremonial first pitch live. So this morning, I was making my hour long drive into work listening to talk radio. They spent a little bit of time criticizing his throw, saying that "He threw like a girl." I was fully expecting to totally trash him tonight. It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

First, I have to give him credit for wearing blue jeans and tennis shoes to a baseball game. The White Sox jacket is also a nice touch. It always bugs me a little bit when people overdress for the occasion. After all, it is just a ball game, not a state dinner. Second, there seemed to be a smattering of boos in the crowd. As much as I disagree with Obama and despise the direction he is taking this country, I still believe you should respect the office. I hated it when people booed George W. and feel in that situation it is better to do nothing than to boo.

So back to the actual pitch. It was not as bad as I thought it would be after listening to the radio. It wasn't the worst pitch I had ever seen. I once saw NASCAR driver Kurt Busch throw one and it was far worse than Obama's. However, Barack can't hold a candle to his predecessor's first pitch.


But neither one of them can compare to this.


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

  1. Hey Dickster,

    I compliment you on your kindness. I didn't see the actual pitch. In fact, I heard all the hype leading up to the throw but missed it anyway. The first I'm seeing or hearing about it again is right here on your site. After viewing the clip, I think it was a lame throw. Yeah, it could have been a lot worse but at 47 years old he should still be able to bring the "heat". I suspect he'll get a few workouts in before his next opportunity. It ain't easy being a head of state. Everyone expects you to speak eloquently, remember names, places, and dates...... And be able to throw a great fast ball. Trust me, his jump shot is much better. I've seen it. :) I agree with you on the jeans and sneakers too. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, it was a pretty poor throw, especially since the media kept touting how "athletic" he is, still I have seen much worse throws by other men. I am surprised, however, that you did not comment about the third pitch video :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right. I failed to comment on the last video. I think it speaks for itself. Did you see the batter whiff at that pitch? And it proves that Obama/Bush really don't throw like a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that's why Obama is president and not pitcher. I think this whole first pitch thing is kind of a measuring session for fat men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harrison, I would rather he be a pitcher.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails