Friday, July 24, 2009

A Question For Parents

Throughout our lifetimes, we take on a variety of roles. There is no role that I take more seriously or is more important to me as my role as a father. Since my son has special needs, it may cause me to look at things differently than most parents. I hope not. I saw something while driving home the other night that kind of bothered me. Maybe the other parents out there can let me know if I am off base.

As I said, I was driving home from work the other night. Up ahead, I saw a car pulled off on the side of the road. A young boy, probably about 8-10 years old, was walking away from the car towards the woods. At first, I thought he just had to take a leak. Soon, I saw him start to vomit. Poor guy. I felt sorry for him. Especially since he was out there all by himself.

As I got closer and passed the car, I could see the mother casually waiting in the car and pouring the remains of a can of soda out the window. My initial reaction was one of dismay. For the life of me, I could not understand why she was not out there with her kid to lend support or comfort. Am I wrong to feel that way?



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. My kids are younger than the boy in your story, and I would be out there with them. But thinking back to when I was a kid, I would rather go off and puke by myself. I'm not as bothered by the story as you are.

    I knew a family that stopped on the highway because their son was getting sick. The parents went out to help the boy, and the boy's brother stayed in the car. A drunk driver came along and slammed into the parked car. The boy in the car died. You didn't mention what kind of road you were on, but pulling over can be very dangerous on highways. The mother might have been safer if she went with her son.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails