Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fireworks and the USA

A firework in Bratislava, Slovakia, 2005Image via Wikipedia

I debated on whether or not to post something about Michael Jackson and the intense media coverage since his death. Perhaps I may make a post about that subject in the next day or two. Instead, since we are fresh off of our 4th of July celebration, I decided to post about two articles that I found on CNSNews.com regarding Fireworks.

By now, if you read here on a regular basis, you know that I think any climate change is primarily solar in nature. I am not a fan of the whole concept of the idea of cap and trade or any legislation that would increase our energy costs or impact our standard of living. I have posted about it here, here, and here.

So what did that little side rant about global warming have to do with fireworks. The first article that I came across talked about the fireworks industry coming under greater regulation if the cap and trade bill passes the Senate. Because fireworks give off CO2 when exploded, the fireworks industry could be subject to the bill. As such, the costs of our neighborhood celebrations will further stretch the already tight budgets of our local governments.

The second article, deals with the fireworks display at the National Mall. Most of the fireworks that were shot off were made in Communist China and not the USA. It just seems extremely ironic, not to mention inappropriate, that on the holiday where we celebrate our freedom as Americans that we would be using fireworks made from a totalitarian regime. I'm just saying.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails