Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Bad Pizza Night

Last night was one of those nights that make me wonder why I continue to deliver pizzas on the weekend.  First off, you never know from one week to the next how much money you will make each week.  Some nights are busier than others.  Then there are those nights when you get a bunch of good tippers and others, not so much.

Anyway, back to yesterday.  It was a cool, rainy night, and the rain was steady for most of the night.  Now I am not crazy about driving in the rain at night but I was looking forward to the evening.  Usually on a night like last night the people are a little more generous with the tips, and I would expect to get $4-$5 per delivery.  Yesterday, most of my deliveries averaged half that, and at one point I had three straight deliveries where the combined total of the three runs was under $3.  Very frustrating.

For now, though, I will continue delivering fresh hot pizza on the weekends, at least as long as I need the extra cash coming in.  Then there is always the thought in the back of your mind that you might knock on the door of a house like the one in the video below.  :-) 

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

  1. You could deliver more than pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you get a salary on top of the tip? Or is most of the compensation tip based?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you are as careful to make sure that your customers get the correct change back as he was. For he must have counted it at least a dozen times or more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. plin, we get an hourly rate, but it is less than minimum wage. If our tips do not put us at minimum wage we get a credit to bring us to the minimum

    Fish, I am always careful with the change.

    Casey, one night I knocked on a door and some kid answers the door and tells me their parents were "kinda busy." The mother came down wearing a bath robe, so I think I interrupted something

    Harrison, if given the opportunity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. People can be really stingy when it comes to tipping. My husband and I always try to give people a decent tip unless they give us a compelling reason not to. It really is true that if you can't afford to tip you shouldn't be ordering out anyway.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails