Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Newest Toy

Photography is one of my favorite hobbies, and has been for years.  When I first got involved in photography, I used an old Pentax K1000.  I was primarily interested in sports and landscape photography.  I had a bunch of special effects filters and lenses ranging from wide angle to a 500mm mirror telephoto lens.

I dabble with photography for several years, but after a while my film cameras started to collect dust in the basement.  As film started to wane in popularity, and I was in need of a little extra cash for some other interests, I decided to sell all of my film equipment.

A few years ago, the photography bug bit me again so I invested in a good digital SLR camera.  My camera of choice these days is a Nikon D40x.  The Nikon is what I use when I want to take really nice photos, especially when I want to take some action photos at the Bowie Baysox games.

The one thing about the DSLR camera and the lenses is that it is a little bit on the bulky side.  It isn't something that I can have with me all the time.  For that reason, I have been in the market for a smaller, point and shoot type digital camera.  This weekend, I think I have found what I have been looking for.

I was out running errands yesterday and decided to stop by Best Buy to look for a camera.  Being on the frugal side (maybe even cheap side) I wanted to find a quality camera, but I wanted to keep the cost below $100.  As luck would have it, they were having a clearance sale on a Nikon Coolpix S300 for half price, only $75.

It is a 12 megapixel point and shoot camera, and unlike a Nikon I looked at a few weeks ago which used AA batteries, has a rechargeable lithium ion battery  It is small enough to fit easily in my back pocket.  I also got a rather small camera bag that could attach to my belt if needed.  Best of all, it's a Nikon. 

I am really looking forward to using this camera on an everyday basis.  There are just so many times when I wish I had my camera.  The D40x is just too much to lug around all the time, unless I am planning a day of photography.  The Coolpix is perfect for it.  On Saturday night, my wife and I have a dinner/fundraiser to attend.  The Coolpix will be with us.

Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Alas, I knew it would only be a matter of time before Ashton Kutcher got to you. In all fairness, though, you did resist longer than I thought you would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. had I even thought about Ashton Kutcher and his commercials, I never would have bought it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails