Thursday, April 7, 2011

Happy Birthday, Son

Cover of "The Aristocats (Special Edition...Cover of The Aristocats (Special Edition)I am in a little bit better frame of mind tonight than I was last night.  To be perfectly honest, I was kind of moping around my office a little this morning.  I was still regretting it a little bit that I had not decided to take a vacation day to go visit my son at school to celebrate his 17th birthday.

My wife went out to the school today with some cupcakes, presents, and balloons for him so that he would have some special fun today.  She told me he was very excited to get the presents.  We had gotten him two Word Girl DVDs, a Spongebob Squarepants DVD, and Disney's The Aristocats.  He was particularly excited to get The Aristocats.  He had mentioned that he wanted it just before we took him back to school after his last break.

I was able to reach my wife on her cell phone shortly before she got to the school.  Usually, my son does not want to talk on the phone at all, but I told her that I wished I had taken off work to go out with her for his birthday and I wanted her to try to get him to talk on the phone so that I could wish him a happy birthday.  To my surprise and my delight, she was able to get him to talk on the phone for a little bit.

When he got on the phone, he didn't want to talk long, but he sounded very excited.  Usually, when he wants to tell you something, he phrases it as a question so that you will ask the question back to him.  The first words out of his mouth were, "Who is coming on the 19th?"  The 19th happens to be the day his spring break starts. I told him I did not know and asked who was coming on the 19th. He said, "Daddy is coming on the 19th."  So he is very excited and anticipating his next trip home.  Me too.


Enhanced by Zemanta

3 comments:

  1. Your son's b'day and mine's on the same month (mine was 2 days before) - meaning we both are Aries and have similar habits & features :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice gift for you, too... a little entertaining phone conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shark, one time my son accidentally called my office phone and it went to my voice mail. I could hear him talking and playing in the background. I saved that voice mail for months.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails