Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Night at the Pizza Palace

An employee takes fresh pizzas out for deliver...Image via Wikipedia
As I have mentioned here a few times, I have a part time job on Friday and Saturday nights delivering pizza.  I wish I didn't have to do it, but you do what you have to do.  I have to say though, that the last two months have been pretty bad as far as making much extra cash goes.  It makes me wonder where the economic recovery is that the President keeps talking about.

With my current full time job, I am only able to work two shifts at the Pizza Palace (not its real name); Friday 6pm-9pm and Saturday 5pm-midnight.  When I first started working the 5-midnight shift, I would average about $70-$80 per shift.  On a couple of occasions, I would walk out with nearly $100.  The last two months however, have seen the average for that shift drop to $40-$50 per shift.  I hope it is more a case of summer doldrums, but fear it is more the weak economy.

Let me just share a couple other thoughts about my night at the Palace this evening.  To the woman who came in for a carry out order shortly before 10pm tonight.  Your perfume should not put on so much perfume that the scent is so overpowering as to linger 5 minutes after you leave the room.  My eyes are still watering.  Seriously, do you stink so badly that you have to put that much on to cover the stench.  The old saying "less is more" definitely applies here.

Generally speaking, I tend to like kids.  However, I am not a big fan of when kids answer the door to pay for the pizza.  Why?  Because kids frequently end up not stiffing the delivery guy.  Sometimes, I think the parents do it on purpose so they don't look bad not giving a tip, but sometimes, I think the kids end up pocketing the money for themselves.  Case in point, I was making a delivery and the customer paid by credit card.  A kid answered the door, and I saw cash in the kids hand.  The kid ended up taking the money and keeping the cash.

Anyway, I hope this economic recovery that Obama and Biden have been touting starts to show up in some more pizza deliveries and better tips.  The last two months have been pretty rough with the decline in income.  If things don't pick up soon I may have to look for some more money making activities.  Unfortunately, I am a bit too old and a bit too fat to make any money hooking a webcam up to my laptop.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails