Sunday, November 29, 2009

Man Card Status

Mighty Turtle of MarylandImage by The Eggplant via Flickr
The man card.  According to the Urban Dictionary the man card is a "requirement to be accepted as a respectable member of the male community. Can and should be revoked by other respectable males for doing non-respectable-male things."  Today, I have to question whether or not I should have my man card revoked.

So what heinous act did I commit today to cause me question my actions?  Well it is Sunday, and instead of watching football, I went to a college basketball game.  I know, you are thinking but attending a live sporting event is a perfectly masculine thing to do.  It was women's basketball.

I know that probably sounds sexist, but it isn't meant to be.  I have a great deal of respect for the talent and dedication of women collegiate athletes.  They are better athletes than I ever hoped to be. However, if I were to rank my preferences of watching spectator sports, football would be #1 and basketball would be #5.

The obvious question is what would lead me to forsake my favorite sport in favor of one so much further down the line?  The answer, my son.  His older cousin, who my son adores, is home from school for the Thanksgiving weekend.  My nephew loves attending any sporting event, so when my son heard they were all going to the Maryland Terrapins ladies basketball game, he insisted on going along.

So while the status of my Man Card may be in doubt, I guess you could say that my Fatherhood Card is on solid ground.  Some would say that probably is the more important one anyway.  I wouldn't disagree.   By the way, the Lady Terps defeated the Drexel Dragons (if the Terps are called the Lady Terps, would that make them the Dragon Ladies?) 82-65.  
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails