Saturday, November 14, 2009

Rosetta Stone Demo CD

For some reason, my son really likes infomercials.  He keeps telling us he wants a Shark Steam Mop for Christmas.  One of the other infomercials he likes is the one for Rosetta Stone software to learn a foreign language.  He will come up to me and say, "Daddy buy Rosetta Stone to learn a new language."

Given two facts, one being that Rosetta Stone software is pretty expensive ($229 for level one of a language) and two being that my son is autistic and somewhat learning disabled, purchasing said software at this time is not really in the cards.  Still, it would be cool to see if my son would actually be interested in learning another language and whether or not he could learn one.

With at least an hour commute each way to work and a part time job on the weekends delivering pizzas, I tend to spend a lot of time in the car listening to the radio.  I have heard a radio commercial several times from Rosetta Stone for a free demo CD.  I thought that could be a great way to see if would be something that would interest my son, so I decided to give them a call.

If you have never heard the commercial, the prospective customer calls and asks what the catch is for the free demo CD.  The very pleasant operator assures him that there is no catch and that the demo CD is absolutely free.  The only "catch" is that he can start learning a language in just 10 minutes. 

Well that operator must have been off today when I called to order my demo CD.  The operator immediately tried to get me to place an order for some software.  When I explained that I wanted the demo for my son to try, he talked down the quality of the demo CD saying that it could be gone through in 5 or 10 minutes and was worthless beyond that.  Getting nothing but a hard sell, I hung up the phone.  I guess I am not the only one unhappy with the approach, because I found three complaints filed on the Ripoff Report website.    
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails