Saturday, June 27, 2009

I Hate Stupid People

As I have mentioned before, I have a part time job on the weekends delivering pizza. Most people who order for a delivery are pretty cool. They understand that we are using our own vehicles and that we are providing a convenience service for them. Those people usually give a reasonable tip, some give even more than I would normally expect. For instance last night, I gave one gentleman $15 change. All I had was one $5 bill and ten $1 bills. He did not want the $1's so he gave me all ten for a tip. Not bad for a $25 delivery.

The people who "get it" are usually expecting you to show up at their door. When you knock on the door, they answer quickly and come to the door with cash in hand. Occasionally you have to knock a couple of times. Then you get those people who don't seem to have a clue, like the family who ordered a delivery, sat in the basement where they could not hear the doorbell or knocking, and would not pick up the phone when you called to tell them you were at their front door. Idiots!

Last night, my final delivery was to one of those people. It was nearly 10pm and had a delivery to an apartment complex. I climbed the two flights of stairs to the top floor of the building. I knocked on the door and waited. I knocked a second time and waited. So I took out my cell phone, dialed the number on the delivery slip. I told the person who answered (you would be surprised how many people don't answer) who I was and I was at the front door of their apartment.

Their response? "Oh you are there? We aren't back yet." WTF?! If you are not home, why the hell would you call to have a pizza delivered to your house? If you are already out, why wouldn't you call and place a carry out order instead? God, I hate stupid people. My guess is these folks voted for Barack Obama.

6 comments:

  1. Love your last line and sense of humor :) We don't get pizza deliver anymore here in the sticks but in those days when I did, I was always looking out the window waiting for the delivery because I knew time meant money for the delivery people. I'd be generous with my tip as well because delivery people work hard for a living and are using their own resources to provide a service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mountain Woman. I try to inject a little levity into my rants. Us pizza guys appreciate those who understand that time is money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were a lot of stupid people that voted for Obama and McCain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True Stunatra though there weren't many options. It is sad when your choices boil down to the lesser of two evils, but this country picked the greater evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever we order pizza, I tell my kids, "you know you live in a great world when you can make a quick phone call, and a little while later someone shows up at your door with a box of hot food."

    By the way, I did vote for Obama, and I tip well - more on cold or rainy nights.

    Keep the hot pizza coming!

    ReplyDelete

  6. By the way, I did vote for Obama, and I tip well - more on cold or rainy nights.

    Well, I guess you are the exception to the rule, Mike ;-) just kidding.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails