Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Southern Maryland Blue Crabs

My son went back to school today after being home for the long Memorial Day weekend.  He was actually supposed to go back to school yesterday, but my wife and I could not get him out of the house.  He has this uncanny ability to know exactly which day we intend to take him back to school.  My wife thinks that when I stay home from work, other than the weekends, he knows that means it is time for him to go back to school.  There is probably some truth to that.

I have mentioned here before how much my son loves going to sporting events; Bowie Baysox games in particular.  Minor league baseball is just so much fun for our whole family.  There is always something going on prior to the game and between innings to keep the kids entertained.  Unfortunately, this season, the Baysox schedule and my son's long weekends and school breaks do not sync up very well.  Memorial Day weekend being a prime example as the Baysox were on a roadtrip and not scheduled to play the entire six days he was home this weekend. 

He comes home again for a longer two week break at the end of June, and there are only three games scheduled.  That has been one of the tougher things with him being away at school is not being able to go to Baysox games as a whole family.  So it has been a major disappointment for us that the Baysox do not play very often when he is home. We have a few major things lined up for when he has his two week break at the end of June.  I will be taking off one weekend from delivering pizzas so that we can go to all three games scheduled during his break.  At one of those games, I believe that one of the front office staff will arrange for him to throw out a ceremonial first pitch.  You can guarantee that will be a blog post.  We also have tickets for the 4th of July, the day before he goes back to summer session.

Thankfully, during the Memorial Day weekend, we did have an option available to us to attend a minor league game.  There are actually four more minor league teams in the state of Maryland besides the Baysox.  There are the Hagerstown Suns and Frederick Keys in Western Maryland, the Delmarva Shorebirds on the Eastern Shore (we go to those games when we vacation in Ocean City), the Arbutus Ironbirds up near Baltimore, and the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs in Waldorf.  All of the teams are affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles with the exception of the Suns (Washington Nationals) and the Blue Crabs (unaffiliated).

The closest of the teams to us besides the Baysox is probably the Blue Crabs.  They have been in existence since 2008 and began their 4th season this year. Since we spend so much time at the Baysox games, we had not had the opportunity to attend a Blue Crabs game. The Blue Crabs happened to be in town during the Memorial Day weekend so we decided to make the 45 minute drive down to Waldorf this past Sunday so my son could see a game while he was home.  We all had a good time, but to be honest, the Baysox games have a whole lot more going on during the game (as do the Shorebirds).  Still, if the opportunity presents itself, we will probably attend a few more Blue Crabs games in the future with their mascot Pinch.. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. When I first saw your headline, my mind instantly went to the cherished memory of the first time I got a hold of some genuine Maryland crab cakes. It was at a restaurant on US 13, just north of the Virginia line, and I am not ashamed to admit that I thoroughly made a pig out of myself. For I couldn't remember eating anything as good as that, and if it was not for the super cute little waitress giving me some weird looks after the third time I had her bring me another order, I might still be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had my share of Maryland crab cakes in my day. I will say that the stadium concessions does have crab cake sandwiches on the menu, but the $12 price tag was a little too steep for my blood

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like good fun for you. We have the West Michigan Whitecaps in Grand Rapids, but northern MI really doesn't seem to go for minor league ball much. Not enough population to support it all, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, Crab Cakes at a baseball game, wow!

    Live Baseball is the bomb. The smell of the grass, crack of the bat, and people watching...

    Good for you that your family enjoys it so.
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails