Friday, June 24, 2011

Small Scare

I had a bit of a scare this morning.  The last few weeks, I have been starting to feel a little more run down than usual.  I attribute a good bit of it to my having put on part of the weight that I had lost earlier in the year. 

I had lost about 20 pounds by cutting out drinking, junk food, and a lot of bad carbs.  Unfortunately, since the baseball season started in April, I have been partaking of too much stadium fare.  A little bit would probably be OK, but when I fall off the wagon, I usually jump off full bore.

Anyway, back to the scare.  I was all set to head off to work this morning.  My lunch was packed, I had brewed some tea to drink on my commute.  The only thing left to do was take out the garbage.  I was walking to the curb with a bag in each hand, when all of a sudden I felt a tingling sensation all up and down my left side.

I have been having a bit of a problem with my right arm where I would experience some occasional weakness and numbness, but it usually happened if I slept on my left side or rested my elbow or wrist on a hard surface for an extended period of time.  This was different, and a bit scary.

The sensation did not last long, probably just a few minutes.  I sat in my car and debated whether or not I should head to the office or not.  Discretion being the better part of valor, I decided to call out sick to work and try to see my doctor.

I was able to get in to the doctor's office to be checked out.  His first thought is that I may have a pinched nerve, but he wants to run several more tests to be certain.  I have to go back in to see him next week when a technician will be in to run a carotid doppler exam.  I also have to schedule an MRI on my brain and neck.  He is also concerned about possible sleep apnea, so I also will need to get sleep study done. 

Hopefully there is nothing seriously wrong.    I hope the fact that the doc sent me on my way means he doesn't think it is too bad.  I definitely need to clean up my eating habits and take better care of myself.  If you happen to be of the prayerful type, I appreciate any positive words on my behalf.  We will keep you posted of the results.
Enhanced by Zemanta

8 comments:

  1. It is better to play safe than sorry,I'm glad that you decided to go to the DR's office instead of work. I truely hope things turn our OK,I've added you to my prayer list as a just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also truly hope that there is nothing seriously wrong, but I wouldn't put a lot of confidence in the doctor sending you on as being a sign that you're okay. For the medical insurance companies encourage such in order to keep costs down. In any event, you did good by going to the doctor instead of just shrugging it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I feel a little better today. I have one appointment on Wednesday, and I have scheduled my MRIs for Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, please DO take care of yourself. Someone needs you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dickster, please take care and get back on the "wagon"! I'm glad you didn't just let the warning signs pass with an "oh, well" like so many people do. Your family needs you and besides I like reading your blog when I can get over here. Take care and you will be in my prayers that it was nothing to worry about! Besides you helped me to start changing my habits when you did!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails